10 Stories to read this weekend - Jan 17, 2014
My recommendations for this week:
- Could this man hold the secret to human regeneration?: Michael Levin wants to help people regrow lost limbs. Now he could be on the verge of a breakthrough.
- Why Audio Never Goes Viral: There is no Google Sound, no BuzzFeed for audio, no obvious equivalent of Gangnam Style, Grumpy Cat or Doge.
- Runner, Interrupted: What happens when a runner loses his feet?
- Geel’s ancient community cares for the mentally ill: For centuries, a little town in Belgium has been treating the mentally ill. Why are its medieval methods so successful?
- The Far Future of our Solar System: If we scaled the entire Universe’s history from the Big Bang until now to be “one Universe year,” what would our future look like?
- See no evil: Why we choose to ignore obvious truths.
- The gene doping battle: This could be a battle like no other in sport. The authorities are so concerned, they have been preparing for it for more than 10 years.
- Maddux’ Hall of Fame approach: A fascinating look at the process that made Greg Maddux a great baseball pitcher.
- The Flying Tomato Would Rather You Not Call Him That Anymore: A great profile of Shaun White.
- What Makes an American Football Player Smart?: A combination of Brain and Brawn is required to succeed at the sport’s highest level.
Have a great Weekend!
Update: All the ten links were broken when this post was originally posted. I’m extremely sorry for the mistake. Many thanks to @RobWensing for a very timely heads-up.